Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reading Yancey's Prayer - 2

This is a continuation from my previous post on Yancey's Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference?

"Most of my struggles in the Christian life circle around the same two themes: why God doesn't act the way we want God to, and why I don't act the way God wants me to" (p.17).


Perhaps inspired by what Yancey's written, I pray this following prayer in the morning recently: "Dear God, You know what's consuming my thought and what's important to me today; I don't need to hide them from you and pretend that I only care for spiritual things, please help me to do a good job and get through today. But at the same time, I do desire to satisfy your heart and so help me live today and conduct myself in a way that pleases you."

2 comments:

ablogaday said...

Your readings (well, hearing... it should be) echo with what YCC studied this month:

"Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." ~ Matthew 6:33

Jesus challenged our priorities and faith in Him, the most fundamental in our path to holiness.

big_head said...

One tends to think and sound grand when talking about direction in life and important decisions. (I'm standing at the head of that line.)

It's when I face the pressing routine day in day out, I realize that my priority/faith is still a step below that of Mt 6.33.

p.s. I bought a hardcopy of Yancey's book, 'cuz I want to take notes. Can't do that on the audio CD!