Saturday, September 15, 2007

Hovering thought - be bold

"We don't know when he [i.e. Aslan] will act. In his time, no doubt, not ours. In the meantime he would like us to do what we can on our own."

C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (New York: HarperTrophy, 1951), p.183


Peter the High King is helping Prince Caspian fight the battle to free Narnia from evil in the above story. Aslan, the lion, never fails to show up to help, rescue them, and render victory for Peter and his army at the right time. Yet, rather than doing nothing and waiting passively for Aslan, Peter wisely plans and fights as best as he could, because he knows very well that Aslan "would like us to do what we can on our own."

As I'm re-reading the Narnia series these few weeks and came upon the above excerpt, these words keep hovering in my mind. Then a few days later, I heard similar words coming from a friend over the phone. It was as if lightning struck, and I feel that God's telling me that's how He wants me to operate at this moment of life.

2 comments:

ablogaday said...

Rather than doing nothing and waiting passively for God, we can do what we can on our own.

Let me be another one who second this thinking. This is also what I realized recently. When I found so many people taking "I don't see God's will yet" or "I didn't hear God's voice yet" as an excuse for doing nothing. I pondered on this and believe God never want to spoon-feed us by telling us every step that we should take. Instead, after being a father for more than 9 years, I believe more and more He would occasionally choose to remain silent so that we can discern ourselves and choose to do the right thing at our own will.

Besides, I believe when we're still immature in Christ, we do need His guidance from time to time, down to the most trivial things. But as we grow more like Him, we should be able to make decision in conformity with the Lord's will more easily, sometimes at a reflex or with an instinct without even thinking. Spiritual fruits are typical examples. When we have them, we don't need to ask God whether we should be kind or patient, good or faithful, gentle or joyful. This has nothing to do with looking lesser upon God or disposing our faith, it is just how we should grow -- grown but still thankful and faithful.

OK, may be this is another excuse of mine that I pray less...

OK, grown but still thankful and faithful, and staying alert too.

big_head said...

Thank you for your echo.

Actually, I heard about this in the past, but I wasn't at the state to learn it as my guiding principle. I wanted God to hold my hand and tell me "yes, go ahead" as I made some major and minor decisions. And when I asked, He did graciously speak.

Somehow, the "be bold" theme is getting into my head now. It's like that you read the same scriptural passage many times, then one day the words suddenly jump out more alive.

As if to confirm my new-found truth, I was reading 2 Timothy yesterday and I kept noticing these words, "to be bold with God's gifts" (1:2), "God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold ..." (1:7), "When the going gets rough, take it on the chin with the rest of us" (2:1-7).

God's truth doesn't change, but circumstances do. I trust that the Holy Spirit will guide God's children the application of His Truth.