Monday, January 08, 2007

Henri Nouwen - powerful vulnerability

How could a man whose writings inspire and touch so many be himself so vulnerable and fraught with struggles? I asked the question as I read the overview of Henri's life in Robert Jonas's "Beauty of the Beloved," an anthology drawn from Nouwen's works.

The myth that pastors, spiritual leaders, and godly Christians are strong and flawless no longer circulates blatantly, and we know that the power of the risen Christ lies in the fact that it works best in the totally feeble ones. Like the lyric of the hymn "Give Thanks" that we often sing: "let the weak say I am strong."

Yet, within church today, who's brave enough to cry out for help during his most vulnerable state? Who dares to share his struggles before getting back on his feet? When will the church become safe enough for people to come lick their wounds? Not now, not yet.

What can we do to nurture a safe environment for everyone's sake?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great insight on Henri Nouwen and the church. I guess when you know you are not perfect, you start inspiring people. No one believes in any human being as superman anymore. But like you said, the church is still not a safe place for people to come and lick their wounds, sadly. It is especially hard in an Asian context, e.g., a Chinese church. Too much pride to lose face.