Monday, January 01, 2007

2007

As I was driving through Huntington Drive to church yesterday, the speaker from radio prompted a question with the "genie" story - what is it that you want the most if you're granted three wishes?

I mused. By the time I approached Broadway Street and College Street, the word "Love" appeared so embarassingly big in my mind that felt a little strange.



Love
Yes, love. I want to experience love in depth and in breadth, in 2007. There's no guarantee in receiving love, whereas there is some certainty in giving love. But then how do I give if my pool runs dry? (By now, I already parked my car, sitting comfortably & admiring the Christmas banners of "hope," "joy," "peace," and "love" that decorate the wall in the new sanctuary from the upper level.) God brings us the wonderful gifts of hope, joy, peace, and love through Jesus. Yet, the Bible clearly privileges "love" above the other gifts, as it says "God is love," not "God is peace," even though Jesus, the Prince of Peace, brings peace to man. God IS Love. He doesn't only love us, but He Himself is Love. He is the source.

Categories of Love
C.S. Lewis writes about 4 kinds of human love - affection as between parents and children; friendship - the love of men for other men and women for women; erotic love - the love of men and women for each other; and the love of God - the love of God that enriches all love. It probably has something to do with my Chinese heritage that I think of love in terms of these relationships -- to my seniors (長輩), to my peers (平輩), and to my juniors (晚輩) -- with which I want to experience & practice love. (Interestingly & thankfully, I have been given more opportunities to interact with the younger generations at church, at school, and in my private-teaching environment in 2006.)

Purpose-driven Life
After I graduated, I pretty much felt that the goal has been accomplished. Getting the degree, for me, isn't a stepping stone to something else. It is the something else. I don't feel like pursuing anything -- a big house, or to be filthy rich. I can quit right now except that I need food and a place to live. But what's the purpose of living? New year resolution should be aligned to one's life goal. What's important in life? Relationships & Love, I believe.

Does every man /woman crave for some kind of Love? Doesn't seem that way. Either it's not true or s/he must be hiding it really well.

It's not without reason that the greatest commandment is to love -- "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength ... Love your neighbor as yourself." Rather than to view it as a commandment, I see it as the key to lead an abundant life.

Side Notes
One of my longtime favorite hymns is Ralph Carmichael's "I Looked For Love" (click here to listen to the tune*). Not many people know this hymn, but Carmichael's name shouldn't be unfamiliar because of his other work "He's Everything to Me."

I looked for love in the red rose so small,
I looked for love in the green tree so tall;
But the red rose had its thorns,
and the green tree was a cross,
and my searching for love was a total loss.

I looked for love in a friendly face so true,
I looked for love in a creed I once knew;
Well, my friend just called me friend,
and he said, "I'm searching too,"
and the creed only told me what I couldn't do.

Then one day I heard the story of love like I'd never known.
How God gave His Son to save me and wanted me for His own. His own, His very own.
And now I know what it means to belong,
not lost in a crowd,
swept along by the throng.
But to Him who gave His life,
Every longing to fulfill,
And I know that He loves me and He always will.

I feel that there should be a third verse which begins with "I looked for love in a fellowship setting ... (and got disappointed too)." Even Christian community may fail you. After all, we're just human. Well, Ralph Carmichael did it in the third verse of his other hymn, "Love is Surrender."

Shout about love and the wars will all end.
You can shout we're all brothers and even pretend.
But you can't cover up the past, just pretending'll never last.

Without Him love is not to be found; not to be found.
For Love is surrender,
Love is surrender to His will.
Love is surrender to His will.

New Year Resolution
Talk is cheap. Forget what I wrote. Do it. Please help me practice Love by not making it incredibly difficult.

*I re-recorded it to get rid of the static & to play with a slower tempo. You need a multiply account to get in. Once you get to the page, scroll down and select "I looked for love.")

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, wish your dream comes true day by day (not just in 2007). Second, your pool does not dry, but you always pour out only*. Try to see it again, it's full to flooding out to many of us. Thank you for stretching God's love to us (through you) all along!


*Early in the morning, I had you and some of your kind acts in my mind suddenly. And I wanted to tell you much that you're really full of love. It's not incredibly difficult... But I'll pray for you to have wonderful experience from now on!

P.S. Please kindly delete my previous response since I had some typing mistakes there, but of course, here are still... :)

Anonymous said...

My observation on C.S. Lewis 4 Loves. Most people use falsetto on friendship and erotic. Kinship love can empower the giver. Erotic love can hurt and sooth. God's love inspires us with its unconditional sacrifice. To keep the 4loves lasting, the common denominator is respect and forgive.

big_head said...

> Most people use falsetto on friendship and erotic.

Perceptive. It's sad if "most people" are like that, I mean, to waste time on pretense.

For some, it's their defense mechanism that drives them to manufacture a layer of "sheen." They don't believe their real selves are good enough, let alone beautiful. As John Powell wrote: "I am afraid to tell you who I am because you may not like who I am - and it's all that I have."

Although "respect" and "forgive" are both positive verbs, they give me the connotation of still keeping a distance. I'd rather like the word "accept" - to bring them in. With genuine acceptance, all the falsettos will unarm eventually, I hope. Like Powell said, "There is no other way. What is in me grows smaller if I do not tell you its secret."

p.s. I am likely not immune. 用祂的眼看世界 should include 用祂的眼看"自己."

Anonymous said...

Acceptance! Very good reminder! Thank you!

Blog-derekfan said...

On this saturday, went to Elim Bookstore to buy gifts for brothers & sisters to get baptised this Sunday, and found a new CD "曠野甘霖" by John Laudon (Citybeat...守望你)... then searched further via Google, and found a very meaningful LOVE song, to share with you:
http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=xvEDIKz6m_M ...similar to one of my longtime favorite hymns Ralph Carmichael's "I Looked For Love"...and found your blog:)

好好戀愛
曲/詞:陳立怡 編:John Laudon 唱:彭家麗和王祖藍
孩子:我的天父,可否讓我好好地談戀愛?
孩子:不再流淚,不再傷痛,不再聚合又要分開?
孩子:我的天父,我只想要安穩地找個人來愛,
孩子:請讓我知道,那個人在不在?

天父:我的孩子,難道您忘記了我就是愛?
天父:學懂愛我,學懂愛您自己,您就懂好好戀愛。
天父:我的孩子,何不嘗試安靜的慢慢去等待。
天父:您就會知道,那個人在不在。

天父:您是否願意相信,每時每刻都在我手裡,
孩子:願意相信,
合:沒有事情是太早或是太遲。
天父:願意相信,
孩子:愛我的主,我願意相信,萬事萬物都在祢的手裡 ,
天父:我教您順服,我的旨意。
孩子:請教我順服,祢的旨意。

Blog-derekfan said...

BTW, your post of Ralph Carmichael's "I Looked For Love" (the hyperlink) is not valid, pls amend. Do you know where I could find a video clip of this song?

big_head said...

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your comments and your sharing of the song "好好戀愛"!

Delighted to meet in cyberspace someone who likes Carmichael's "I looked for love."

God bless, g.

p.s. I updated the link - the access is now a bit indirect, Multiply's not too friendly. :( Not aware of any video clip of this "oldie" from youtube or from google search.