Monday, January 15, 2007

自己執笠 - I

無論起居,飲食,教育,事業等等,都應支取並經驗自我和基督同釘十字架的事實.要有這經驗,我們一定要先肯向自我死; 要肯向自我死,一定要對自我有清楚的認識.... 特別在那些自稱為屬靈的人群中,很容易看見「自我」的活躍! 1

In all aspects of our lives, we need to integrate and experience the fact that our old self has been nailed on the cross with Christ. In order for such an experience, we must be willing to crucify our own self; and in order to crucify our own self, we must known and understand it.... It's very easy to see activities of "self" especially among the groups who considered themselves spiritual and godly.

事奉主是美事,若為自己而事奉,那事奉等於犯罪! 2

Serving God is a beautiful thing. But if one's service for the aggrandizement of the self, it's no different from sinning against God.


During the Anhui trip last year, Helen (one of the Tong Cheng team leaders) taught us to yield to God the role of being the boss (自己執笠). She was a student of Dr. Lin, our pastor emeritus. So recently, when I read a book recommended by her and written by Dr. Lin, I'm once again reminded of this important lesson of "self" and its relation to the nature of sin.

I could be planning for fellowship programs, participating in outreach events, yet ending up sinning if what i am doing is to satisfy myself.


1 林道亮,《國度的真理》, 第74頁
2 同上, 第84頁.

5 comments:

ablogaday said...

Why this heading?

I thought you're going to end this blog!

big_head said...

i wrote a little bit more after reading your comment la. 終於蒲頭0拿?

ablogaday said...

"Sorly! Sorly!, hehe!" Will write and comment more ga la...

You've been meditating a lot on the topic "self" recently, haven't you? That is my all-time favorite topic too. Back in 2001 when I was having a subject on cultural studies, I came across a lot of contemporary and postmodern writings on this topic -- fascinating indeed! That's why I've written this and this), and I had my term paper titled "The Problem in Christian Self-Identity and Its Reconciliation". I was surprised and grateful that my tutor 梁文道 (I respect him highly although he's younger than me) let me do this topic. I tried to tackle the issue of continuity from our old self to the re-born self. During the research stage, I kept on asking related questions from Rev Leung, Pastor Chow, Cheng WingYun and others. Finally I've written a 4200-word paper for it. Although I wasn't totally satisfied with what I've written (despite I go an "A+" for that subject), it was nevertheless a rewarding experience for me.

Anonymous said...

Ching Ching

Can you add a new hyperlink for us to have a look on your A+ paper?

Is that related to "Who am I? Who are you?" While, that "Who..." is one of my favourites that I had voted on your blog before.)

big_head said...

thanks for dropping by.

you eat salt more than i eat rice la. just read your "Life as narrative" entry. very readable. my experience agrees with most of what you wrote. i would prefer to use the word "subjective" instead of "distorted" in some cases. (oh well, or, we're all somewhat distorted here and there.)

somewhere in the Bible, it says, "[n]ow I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." everyone of us sees things fragmentarily - some may see a bigger piece than others, but one still only sees one piece not the whole.

didn't realize until you point out that i've been writing about self-related subjects recently. interesting observation. "Troubled water" can be internal. i take comfort in the fact that the One who knows us fully resides within us, and he helps us make sense out of our life events. our narratives may be partial but not be distorted.