Sunday, January 21, 2007

Motorfaucet metaphor

Just like the option to use hot water or cold water, we make the choice to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit, that of our own, or a mixture of both when we do God's work. Sometimes, we set out to turn on the valve of the Holy Spirit, but then gradually shut it off and switch on our own "talent" valve. And sometimes, we rely on our own strength and talents so naturally; but when the situation gets out of hand, we remember that's not the way to do things & re-connect what we do to the Holy Spirit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes and to me, I like to use the "talent" valve all the time until...

ablogaday said...

If I already offered my life to the Lord, is there any difference between using my talent or my spiritual gift to serve Him?

big_head said...

When I use my talent as a tool to serve Him, I'm also relying on the Holy Spirit. But sometimes when I use my talent to serve Him, I'm only relying on talent and myself.

I don't mean to distinguish one's talent from one's spiritual gift.

What do you think?

ablogaday said...

True. Look solely on the consequence of our service to the Lord, it seems we don't need to distinguish between talent and spiritual gift. Looking on the motivation of our service, it's also highly possible that we can use our spiritual gift(s) to service but not for the sake (glory) of our Lord but ourselves.

Your point is talking about "the source" of power when we're doing God's work, but to most people it is not easy to evaluate or even to be aware of it, no matter subjectively or objectively. Very often it is only an evaluation AFTER we finished our service. Could this be too late?

My 'theology' regarding spiritual gift and talent is that talent is God-given to define our personality and identity, but spiritual gift is God-given to build His church and His people. Of course we can offer our talent to serve in the church, but it may not be God's call. One thing I'm not sure is whether God will grant us any "potential/hidden" spiritual gift before our conversion. If He won't then we can differentiate His call and find His will on us easier.

big_head said...

> Your point is talking about "the source" of power when we're doing God's work, but to most people it is not easy to evaluate or even to be aware of it ...?

Don't you think it's important that we become more and more aware of it?

> Very often it is only an evaluation AFTER we finished our service.

Agree. Occasionally, I am able to finish the task on my own without relying of the power of God. But then the result doesn't last. That may be what you wrote about. I also observe that some people get spiritually (in addition to physically) exhausted after finishing a huge task, and they would need to take time off (from several months to several years) from the ministry. Perhaps that also says something ...

I have some first hand experience being in the shoes of the above scenarios. More often, though, since I'm not a finisher by nature, my tank runs dry in the middle of a task and that's when I realize that I've turned on the wrong side of the faucet. In a sense, it's helpful because I would be forced to realign myself with the Source.

Hope this makes sense.