Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Devotional convenience - taking others for granted?

My mood index, along with motivation, energy level dropped since four weeks ago. At first I thought it was mood swing, and it would go away. But last week it got to a point that I found even performing daily tasks and chores were difficult. And so I decided to two friends to pray for me. Sure enough, I gradually felt better for the next several days.

Things became back to where they had been shortly, however. This time I don't have anyone immediate to turn to, since both friends are out of the country. It then occured to me, "I could pray to God. I have to do it myself."

It took a little effort to quiet down and tune in to the God channel. But I did it one morning. (It's the same morning that I opened and read the Bible instead of simply reading devotional work.)

Doing it myself is not as convenient as asking someone who's spiritual to intercede. Somehow it seems easier to write down prayer requests in an email and have someone else pray for me. It's almost effortless to ask others for prayer support: send an email to an elite spiritual group, a coterie, print it in the church bulletin, share it during fellowship, prayer time of a small group, ...etc. But shouldn't one go to the Father directly instead of sending messengers to fetch one's sustenance? Is there a line that we shouldn't cross, lest we'll abuse the privilege and others' kindness?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you feeling much better now?
Though I don't have your prayer requests, you're in my prayers.

ablogaday said...

「你們各人的重擔要互相擔當,如此,就完全了基督的律法。」∼ 加六2

「各人必擔當自己的擔子。」∼ 加六5

big_head said...

Foon, thanks. I thought of asking you, a faithful, trusted friend. Yet, when I realize that I should take responsibility, I went to the Source directly.

Chinese title of this blog entry should be: 唔好卸膊

Ablogaday: thanks for the Bible verses. Think I get it now.

Anonymous said...

Big Head

Thanks for telling! And yes, the Source is good and He must bless you and keep you.