Wednesday, April 02, 2008

The "red" monster

I took a personality test at work several years ago. My personality is usually "green" or "blue" (logical and reasonable). But when I feel stressful, I turn into a red (i.e. aggressive) personality.

I dislike my red self -- I dislike myself when I hurt & snap at people, and when I dampen others' spirits. But I turn red way too often than I wish to see.

I wonder if the red self is the natural me, the "green" or "blue" version is the cultured, educated me. Is it my job to deal with it? Or is it God's job to transform it? How much can one change one's nature?

6 comments:

ablogaday said...

Who are you to change the "natural" you if God meant to make you this way on day one?

I don't think it's a problem of being red, green or blue. Afterall, what is good or bad is usually imposed cultural values. God could be very red sometimes, although He could also be green and blue. So you see you're very much like Him.

The point is to discern if you would sin when you're stressful. Even if you sinned, confess, repent and reconcile before sunset, and you'll be fine. (Ephesians 4:26)

The point is not to get rid of our red-ness, making ourselves a green or blue person, but how to handle our red-ness well. Actually, we need to handle our green-ness and blue-ness well too.

Bless you.

big_head said...

> The point is to discern if you would sin when you're stressful.

Hm... when i'm stressful, 60-70% of the fruit of the Holy Spirit would not be anywhere near me.

> reconcile before sunset, and you'll be fine.

Yes, and I'm creating way too many occasions for those around me to practice forgiveness!

> The point is not to get rid of our red-ness,

Really? Perhaps we have lived far apart for a very long time. Maybe if you know my true color, you'll respond differently? :)

Anonymous said...

I do believe God can transform (the natural me), and as Ching said, sometimes God could be very red, and so do we.
At least I won't believe one can be only red, or only blue, it's a hybrid and it depends on circumstances...
Last but not least, I love the red, the green and the blue you. Heehee...

big_head said...

Thanks, Foon, for being supportive. Things are over for the time being.

Looking from the bright side: I feel a bit free. I can't look any worse ... that's the raw me.

Looking from the brighter side: I felt in a rush all the time in the past 6 months ... always got to do this, got to do that ... very tired ...

I thought to accomplish more is being busy ... I was wrong.

ablogaday said...

Of course if busy work makes you so red that you can't control it, busy work is a bad thing.

"God may thunder His commands from Mount Sinai and men may fear, yet remain at heart exactly as they were before. But let a man once see his God down in the arena as a Man -- suffering, tempted, sweating, and agonized, finally dying a criminal's death -- and he is a hard man indeed who is untouched." ~ J.B. Phillips, "Your God Is Too Small"

God could be this red but also this loving. I see you do have many of His virtues, don't you?

> I'm creating way too many occasions for those
> around me to practice forgiveness!


I thought you said receiving is as good as giving?

> Perhaps we have lived far apart for a very long time.
> Maybe if you know my true color, you'll respond
> differently?


Mm... It's my understanding in the Lord in all these 25 years, not that I'll respond differently because of who I'm talking to...

Also makes me think of a slogan: Do the (red) thing. I do want to buy a white (red) Converse...

big_head said...

> God could be this red but also this loving. I see you do have many of His virtues, don't you?

I've not looked at it that way, but what a compliment and what a goal it is to be able to reflect Him like a moon does the light of the sun.

God bless, ablogaday.