Friday, August 17, 2007

David's heart

"Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it."

Ephesians 2:8 (NIV)


Many of us have been busy preparing for the 818 event. Time to quiet down & rest well. I (quasi-)unplugged my phone and listened to Dr. Lee's commentary on the Books of Samuel this morning. I was at CD 6, in which he talked about the rise of David.

Lee's reading of the character David is refreshing - that David was not "young and innocent" when he killed Goliath; and that he was calculative to tell Saul in public that he spared his life even tho' he had the opportunity to harm him; and he might be warning others not to harm him as God's anointed one, when he seemingly referred to Saul by saying that he wouldn't kill Saul for the same reason.

I agree with Dr. Lee's general reading of David's complex and scheming character (not unlike Jacob); and that God chose him not because of, but in spite of, his character. This is good and comforting, as there's really no need to put up a front to earn God's love.

This also reminds me to re-orientate myself and know my place before 818 tomorrow. Do I still think that He uses us because we're any good? Ha. Rest well.

No comments: