Thursday, August 02, 2007

I35W bridge collapse: how to pray?

In the church prayer meeting last night, our pastor broke the news to us and showed us some pictures on screen, and then asked us to pray in groups of two.

I didn't know how. I find help from John Piper's reflection. The bridge of Interstate 35W over the Mississippi River was within sight from the church he pastors. His family happened to read Luke 13:1-5 (a pre-selected passage) for devotion.
There were some present at that very time who told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices. And he answered them, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered in this way? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish. Or those eighteen on whom the tower in Siloam fell and killed them: do you think that they were worse offenders than all the others who lived in Jerusalem? No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

I'll leave it up to you to read Piper's thought. The comments from his readers are no less fascinating and thought-provoking.

I also learn how I can pray in response to the bridge collapse after reading Albert Mohler's article, in addition to Piper's reflection.

1. Pray that people wouldn't blame God for not saving those who died but would thank Him for sparing the lives of those who survive.
2. Christians and non-Christians are reminded through sudden calamities like this that "the ways and means of persons suddenly passing out of this world are indeed 'innumerable and inconceivable.'" Pray that we live everyday wisely and seize opportunities to do good.
3. Pray for those with loved ones directly involved in this tragedy.
4. Pray for the churches of Minneapolis to minister grace and truth amidst this tragedy and turmoil.

No comments: