Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Teamwork

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Proverbs 27:17 (NIV)



2 days after our 818 BBQ/Movie Event, I've talked to and heard from enough people to get their views to complement mine, here's what I'll remember.

I learned a lot, especially about the importance of teamwork. That was actually the most difficult part. Because the leader went off to a business trip for two weeks, so several individuals took it upon themselves and acted as leaders here and there. It was subtle -- many of us insisted on our own ways of doing things, choosing to make judgment calls, instead of following instruction -- but i felt its negative impact.

It's true that we had some unity -- we all wanted to outreach to non-believers. However, our ways of doing things are so idiosyncratic because we're different; we don't think alike nor work in identical styles. When we're working as a team, the idiosyncracy makes things less interesting than challenging.

When does a leader insist to be followed, when does one let it slide? When should a team player simply follow instruction? When can he make his judgement call and deviate from the leader's decision?

Good-intention is simply not good enough. We all got to learn to work rhythmically with one another.

4 comments:

ablogaday said...

> ... the importance of teamwork.
> That was actually the most difficult part.
> many of us insisted on our own ways of doing things


Agreed! Somehow we can't work if we don't believe in ourselves. But when it comes to a team, my experience is that the hardest lesson is you let go what you see is the right way of doing things.

> When does a leader insist to be followed,
> when does one let it slide?
> When should a team player simply follow instruction?


Now I learned that a problem always have more than one solution. We may see our way as the best way, but not necessarily the only or absolute way. Very often it is our ego which holds on to insisting. For me, as long as others' suggestions still serve the purpose, I may only point out to others what I see the pros and cons of every option, but not insist on mine.

"Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." ~ Ephesians 4:2-3

Somehow what we need to learn is self-limiting. You know you can do it but choose not to do it. I think Christ's incarnation from an omnipotent God to a helpless human being is the best example.

big_head said...

>"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Phil 2:3-4

These verses all of a sudden jump out alive. In humility consider others' vision better than mine.

The word "maturity" also comes to mind. It doesn't matter how well we talk or how much Bible knowledge we have. When we work together, it shows.

As far as I can remember, the 818 was the most difficult and disappointing serving experience I've had. I feel let down by people I respect and I see that not all are comrades.

Pray, in time, this doesn't hurt and just be an experience that makes me a better teamplayer - in Him. In all things, give thanks to Him.

Anonymous said...

Big head

Still have you in my prayers!

big_head said...

Thanks, Foon.

Came across this article about how not to read C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.