Thursday, June 08, 2006

Music spec. for my big day

"what would go through your mind if one day your doctor said s/he found something on your test and wants you to run through more tests to make sure?" That's the question my Sunday school teacher posed during class couple weeks ago.

well, for me, it wasn't exactly a hypothetical situation, 'cuz that was pretty much what my doctor told me several weeks ago. i didn't give it much thought initially, but then the thought grew & made me a little nervous ... and more nervous. interestingly & thankfully, i became not so concerned pretty soon.

somewhere along these states of mind, i ran thru just one additional test & that's it. thank God that the result comes out negative and i'm fine ... for now.

nevertheless, the incident re-ignites my interest in writing down what i want for my funeral, especially the music i like to have. (i've thought about it in the past, just never get to write it down.) why not? some girls planned for their weddings when they were still little brats!

here's my wish list for my funeral (since it may be difficult & expensive to have the music played live, i'm willing to settle for a good CD & sound system):

1. John Rutter's Requiem

Haven't looked at the lyric in detail. But the music is beautiful!

2. J.S. Bach's Cantata No.140, Wachet auf ruft uns die Stimme ("Wake up, cries the watchman's voice")

The cantata includes a duet between bride and groom, representing Christ and the Soul. What does or can a dying person look forward to, but the waking up and the union with Christ? The hope offered for the dead is what I'm after here.

3. Along the same line of thought as Bach's cantata, Rutter wrote an choral anthem "As the Bridegroom." I like that; Christ is the perfect bridgeroom.

Oh... I also need 1 or 2 congregational hymns. How about "Great is thy faithfulness"? I like it.

1 comment:

Amy said...

My 43 year old single lady friend and I were eating lunch half hour ago, talking about similar issues. I told her my rich cousin got married in Leeds Castle. She then told me about her dream wedding. Though she currently has no perpective person to get married to. It feels great to dream with her. I had Great is Thy Faithfulness in my wedding too. My dad "marched" me into the church while Holy Holy Holy was playing.