I'm about to start a new 靈修筆記, & this would either be my 3rd, if not my 4th one. At the beginning, an entry only consisted of the date, scriptural passage, bible verse/ phrase(s) for meditation, and insight. Pretty generic, not something tailor-made for my quiet time, which was still taking shape. Once in a while, I wrote down a prayer -- my response or simply free thoughts after reading the Scripture.
About 2-3 years ago, our fellowship (CSAF) inaugurated a Pray & Share meeting. (It was and is still conducted once a month.) At the first meeting, everyone was given a yellow booklet as a makeshift prayer journal. Even tho' its look wasn't attractive, I used it and kept using it to record important prayer requests (for others and for myself), whether God answered them, and how. The pages were filled up after two years.
I have then continued to jot down significant prayers using the back of my devotion journal. While I wrote down "ordinary" devotional entry starting from the front almost everyday, the prayer journal may be considered "extraordinary" -- the interval of this part of entries varies from once a week to once a month. Though recorded irregularly, they help me see God's hands persistently. Since my memory functions poorly, I don't remember all the things I've asked God, especially not in detail. These entries not only remind me but frequently amaze me -- how God answers prayers according to my specifications! Even tho' sometimes He doesn't agree with me on certain specific, He still answers. Writing things down help me notice the hands of God big time!!!!
Now as I'm filling the last inch of space in my current journal, where the ordinary and extraordinary have crossed path, I am ready to start my new journal as a prayer journal (禱告筆記). Hopefully it's not just filled with requests. (Imagine all the lover letters between two people -- won't it be mortifying if they're filled with to-do-lists!)
In Open Hands, the author Henri Nouwen mentions "Journal of Gratitude." My prayer journal will also be a journal of gratitude and of other experience. I'm getting a clearer sense of my spiritual pulse.
1 comment:
Hi~
I've enjoyed your thoughts & encourage you to keep sharing & I'll keep reading.
Wil / www.inspiritministry.org
Post a Comment