Since mom moves back home, I continue to be amazed at the outcome of her brief stay at the convalescent home. Both mom and the home aide seem like a different person: mom has become more amenable, appreciative, happy; home aide now takes care of mom with her heart! PTL.
Among all the "before and after" incidents, I'll jot down just a few.
Prior to sending mom to the ch, I asked Emily whether she could extend her work hours to stay overnight with mom, and she replied, "of course I could stay. It just depends how much you will pay me." And she gave her number. After we sent mom to the ch, she said, "if you take you mom back home, I will take care of her with my whole heart. I don't mind if the wage is low. I will quit one of the two side jobs so that I can spend more time with your mom. Please take her home, will you?"
Before the ch. stay, mom would be yelling and kicking when we tried to clean her. Actually, the first day after we took her home, mom was still kicking Emily. But afterwards, according to Emily, mom said, "oh you're a good person, you helped me." Instead of resisting help, mom now thanks Emily when she's helped.
Yesterday I took mom for a doctor's follow-up visit. Unlike my past experience, it was so effortless. Ggetting mom out of the apartment, having her walk to my car, everything became so easy. When we returned to the apartment building, I thought of saying "hello" to the apartment manager and showing her mom's doing well (in the hope of giving the manager some good impression of mom and of scoring points for renewing next year's rental contract). Mom handled herself so well and exchanged some brief conversation with the manager in English. Two thumbs up for mom!
As a close friend who shares some workload like a sister does of caring for mom noted, in the most positive sense, "I don't know what prayers have been prayed, and who said those prayers, the outcome is beyond our imagination. We were expecting things got back to where they were, i.e. square one, but then, things have changed for the better."
4 comments:
一件典型的「神所賜的超過我們所想所求」的事例!
回想我們在事件的過程中往往還在懷疑,可是沒有踏出信心的一步,便沒有今天見證神恩的機會。對嗎?
Like... very much!
滿心詫異感恩之餘,我也學習怎樣才是支持別人。
之前,有部份親友質疑我們不安排媽咪進安老院; 現在卻指責我好安排媽咪進安老院。 可幸的是在我身邊,神給了我不少人,是一步一步的與我同行,給鼓勵、體諒、代禱、行動上的支持。
Interesting transformation.
My grandma also had a very good part-time personal care-taker when she stayed at convalescent home.
"No man is an island" has another layer of meaning. In additional to one's social need, there's the physical aspect. If one gets to grow old, s/he needs to be taken care of during the first few years and the last few years.
Post a Comment