Friday, November 10, 2006

The God of Jacob

This morning when I was reading Psalms 135, this verse caught my attention:

"For the Lord has chosen Jacob to be his own, Israel to be his treasured possession."

Ps 135:4


Feel like continuing the thought from my previous post ...

I never quite understand why God would introduce Himself as "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob (or Israel)."*

"The God of Abraham" - sure I understand; "the God of Isaac" - hm... alright, he's not so bad even tho' his family is a little dysfuncitonal; "the God of Jacob" - hm... interesting & huh, that's it?

Why stop at Jacob?
Why not include "I am the God of Joseph"?
Isn't Joseph the shining one who reflects best the glory of God?

God chose Jacob, a sly character in nature. God chose Jacob (not Joseph) and named him "Israel," from whom the Israelites and the 12 tribes came. I call this radical!

* Cf. Ex 3:6, 5, 16; Deut 6:10, 9:5, 29:13, 30:20, ...1 Chron 29:18, Acts 7:32.

2 comments:

ablogaday said...

Joseph is only part of Israel, God is the God of all Israel. Addressing God as the God of Joseph sounds incomplete to the Israelites.

big_head said...

Thanks. This sounds simple and makes a lot of sense!

Still, you know how when we introduce ourselves, we would want to be related to someone who has a good name, not someone who's infamous. "The God of Jacob," to me, belongs to the latter category.

Of course, Doctor doesn't heal the healthy but the sick; and Jesus came for the lost, not the rightoues. Awesome.