I used to do mini-recitals occasionally, play piano accompaniment for friends (vocalists and instrumental players) in concerts and in schools. Those were the settings that people would applaud. That's a long time ago.
I also play at church, but one doesn't get enthusiastic applause there as the setting doesn't allow such rowdiness.
My apartment building is right next to the street. In one afternoon last week, I was playing through a piece to get ready for a student's lesson. After I finished, there were hand-clappings coming from the street. Wondering if they were for me, I looked down from the window and saw two young girls walking by and looking up and said well-done or nice work. That, of course, made my day!
15 comments:
Oh! If I were that passerby, I would do that too. Besides, I will knock your door to ask whether you can teach me faithfully and immediately!
You really attract applause, appreciation and a lot, a lot...
Excellent! A++
thanks, Foon. 1 of my students is my neighbor next door. she knocked!
If must felt good when what you've done got appreciated, esp in a surprise -- good for you!
> I also play at church, but one doesn't get
> enthusiastic applause there as the setting
> doesn't allow such rowdiness.
Even being a Christian for 20+ years, I'm still not sure about this "not-allowing-human-appreciation" tradition. I know about the "retain-the-glory-in-heaven" argument, but still not convinced.
Therefore, I insist giving you my applause. Clap! Clap! Clap!
Dear big head
If you have time and if you don't mind, would you play a song for me? I'm so eager to listen from your play...
ablogaday,
thank you for your "Clap! Clap! Clap!" i suppose the "not-allowing-human-appreciation" concept may be more a Chinese tradition than a church tradition.
Foon,
i certainly don't mind playing and recording one for you. the problem is that i don't have anything to link up my piano and my notebook. my piano does have some midi input/output ... i was told that i need some cables and some software? ablogaday, do you know?
Why not properly record a CD(s) in a studio before your fingers get stiff? I bet it'll be something you take out and enjoy more than the diploma in the future. Donate the CD sale proceeds to your favorite charity.
I'd like to think strategically.
~Melinda Gates is my current model.~
et, I just remember that i still haven't picked up my diploma ...
Recording a CD in a studio ... something to think about. Maybe after my teaching contract is over, which will not be too far away.
Donate the CD sale proceeds to charity ... the idea is also good, tho' you make it sound like that I already have several millions $ in the bank. Interesting! Anyway, I may need to first raise fund to rent a recording studio w/ a decent piano.
1)Borrow a digital camera/cell phone with video function, 2)do your own recording 3)upload it to youtube. The whole world will clap/flap. btw. Do you know who's Jim Brickman?
Big head
You're too kind to me! Though you can't make it by now, I will wait patiently!
Thanks deeply!
anonymous, my camera does have limited video/audio recording capability, tho' the quality is pitiful if dealing with piano music.
i may just invest a little bit of $ to get a midi/PC cable. i google-searched briefly this morning and saw this site, which gives information about shareware/freeware that can process midi files on a PC/MAC.
Any recommendation?
Big head
May I have the model number of your piano? Since I wanna share this to Peter(Wo Tsai), who may get some cues. Thank you very much!!
Sure. It's Yamaha's MP 100, silent piano. The model has been discontinued.
Thanks for checking, Foon.
Dearest big head
Last night, Wo Tsai just gave me a call and asked whether he could suggest you to put a jack into your headphone output (I noticed that your MP100 had a headphone output port). Then, linked it (by a line) with a recordable MP3, mobile phone, cassette recorder, or any kind of recordable device with a "line-in" input (similar to mic input). Then, you can play your song and record simultaneously as a MP3 or WAV file...
But he wanted to dig out another easy way before giving you this suggestion then, I received your piece of work this morning unexpectedly.
I played it in the whole morning before I went to YCC and was touched to cry without control because you presented me an invaluable gift that I had longed for so long.
How can you treat me so good?
Nothing I can say but I love you! Thank you deeply!
Glad you like it, Foon, and glad that it arrived at an opportune time.
i spent very little time and effort, really; God must have multiplied its effect & given you what you needed.
p.s. thanks for checking with Peter. i'll ask around here about the cable/wire needed.
Thanks big head again!
Last night, I played it again and again until I fell asleep ah. Too comfortable to hear! Thank you!
By the way, it's just a wire sold at HK$6 here (Apliu Street). If you can't find it easily in LA, just give me your address then I will deliver it to you right away.
p.s. Of course, I don't mean that you have to re-record it by the cable for me again, but for your retention and use. Thanks!
Post a Comment