Monday, October 09, 2006

Music talk: 點歌 - song dedication

以前在香港住﹐聽收音機﹐ 商業電台常有點歌項目 (I give up, it takes too long to type in Chinese). Person A will call in and asks the DJ to play a certain song for Person B (or even C, D, E). As far as I am aware of or remember, no one has ever done it for me on a radio show. But someone did give me a song during a Christian gathering... The song was a Christian hymn "I know who holds tomorrow."

After I graduated from UCSD, I went back to HK for a 2-week vacation and then was going to return to the U.S. for a full-time job in San Diego. Well, during that 2 weeks, I made the decision to stay in Hong Kong for good. That decision lasted for 8 years. (您聽落梗係覺得我好cool la, but my sister had to take care of the mess after my decision- clearing and moving my stuff, selling my old car, etc. Thank you, sis.)

We were singing "I know who holds tomorrow" at a Christian revival meeting. This brother sitting a row in front of me turned around, "gave" that song to me, and turned his head back.

That was many years ago. But the incidence's made such a deep imprint that God is my rock whenever things get uncertain, whenever fear arises.


In the past year, Brian Doerksen's Faithful One and 盧永亨's "誰曾應許" (click link for the tune) have become my "heart" songs.

Faithful One so unchanging
Ageless One You're my rock of peace
...
You are my rock in times of trouble.
You lift me up when I fall down.
All through the storm
Your love is the anchor
my hope is in You alone

誰曾應許,一生不撇下我;
每段窄路,誰陪我去走過?

誰曾應許,天天看顧著我;
晝夜眷佑,連頭髮也數過﹗
誰還以愛,驅走心裡懼怕怯懦,
...﹗

If your next step seems a little uncertain or if you feel a little lonely at times, I dedicate these two songs to you.

P.S. I wonder if my friend remembers extending the small gesture of encouragement to me. Feel even a bit embarassed just to say I have remembered it for so long. The fact is - God can use a word of kindness, a genuine smile thru each one of us to bless another person.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I made the decision to stay in Hong Kong for good."...

When did you make this decision? And have you realized it yet?

I'm one of the HKers longing for you to come back. Actually, when you visited us just two months ago, I deeply wish you could stay here (if you do like), because you're a very kind sister to me(us). I can remember you serve us sincerely by playing the piano in most of our Sunday services. I can also remember one time when I visited your home in Luk Yeung, you cooked one food and said: 客要"一味"的款待, so there is one food, not two. Furthermore, I remember I sat beside your piano and listening to your play satisfactorily...

I also remember them for so long, cause your works also imprinted in my heart. Thanks Tin Yan!

big_head said...

That was many years ago. I did my time already -- 8 years in HK.

Thanks for expressing your wish for me to return to HK. It's good to be wanted. i felt very warm with you all while in HK. 1 vote HK and 0 vote US :) Let's pray and see how God leads.

客要"一味"的款待 - that's from my dad's preaching! i'm picking up his joke.

Anonymous said...

May I know a little bit deeper? 19XX - XXXX is that 8-year?

And if I can pretend, I want to make use of different identities to vote for you to stay in HK. But it's not a valid count that I know. So yes, let's pray and see how God leads!

God bless you!!

big_head said...

yep. 8 years right there.

Anonymous said...

...driving down to san diego to get your stuff, sell your car, move your boxes around...I was young and energetic and thus handling it ok. Try not to do that again!!

big_head said...

OK. Will try. :)

Anonymous said...

et 2 cents proved that she's still young.

big_head said...

annoymous,

上得o黎 blog﹐ 都應該係後生一族 ga la! 您話係咪?

Anonymous said...

Agree with big head! I'm one of the youngsters! Heehee...

Anonymous said...

Big head

Early this morning (HK time), when I was on my way to work, I suddenly remembered that you'd shared with us that you also loved to hear "誰曾應許"...

So, I tried to search it backward from your Blog and confirmed it. Wow!!! This is really a very "heart" song.

PS: I was touched by this song in yesterday's service.