Wednesday, April 28, 2010

random thoughts

In preparing for my AH 2010 trip, I contacted some old AH students from the past two trips. To a mature one, I wrote about my work and general state,

"... However, it's precisely because I don't need to spend as much time for work, I can spare more time and energy to other things, which are no less important even though they don't earn money for me. Interestingly, I find myself learn more about life in difficult times than good times."

Then came his reply, "我最近生活的重点还是学习,因为明年一月份我要考研究生。虽然很累但是也很充实。另外闲暇的时候我会通过internet关注新闻实事和自己感兴趣的事情等。读书和上网是我最爱做的两件事,他们都能使人开拓视野,获得知识,感悟人生。虽然我现在还没有开始挣钱,但我一直都认为钱只要够花就可以了。人的一生是很短暂的,还有很多比挣钱更有意义的事情可以去做,比如亲情比如自己的兴趣爱好。Grace一直是我心中的一个榜样,我希望自己能成为像您一样的nice person,过着自己想要的生活。"

His reply could be courteous words. However, it made me feel very humbled. How I hope he would get to know Jesus personally soon. I told the students in China that I'm not well off, and that people whom they (the students) have never met support me financially so that I can go to meet them and teach. I told them several times that I'm really not that good or nice as they think I am; it's the love and grace of God, which send me to them. I must say this again to this student, and I must say this to the new students who I'll meet in July.

Compared to other friends, my work situation is still OK. I am no less busy than when I had more "professional" work. Like on Sunday, after church in the morning, I headed to the mission-trip meeting, and then joined a dinner gathering to pray for a sister who will have a brain operation today.

Yesterday, I accompanied a friend to visit her son in Irvine, who will return to HK toward the end of May after having looked futilely for IT job in the rough market here for over a year. We really need to pray for him more fervently.

Today's time seems to be all mine to rest and do work that earns $. I'll try to bring mom to check out two convalescent homes tomorrow, have a Bible Study preparation session with the study leaders on Friday, and then take someone's dad to a church nearby his home for the first time on the coming Sunday.

In between these activities is the more regular part of life: piano teaching & related matters. Hm ... I wonder what my life would be like in 5 years, in 10 years. Once in a while I still worry. But I must say for the most part I am fairly happy and satisfied.

No comments: