Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Starbucks on campus

There's a Starbucks on campus! Finally. The sight of it just brings comfort. Don't know how much longer I'll teach there to make use of that, though.

As I spotted the Starbucks store sign, I was on my way out. I was on campus today to make copies of the syllabus and the handout for the first day of class. I was going to buy the quarterly parking permit but forgot to bring my cheque book. (Nope, they wouldn't take cc.) As usual, a few things are not quite ready. The university bookstore under-ordered the books for my classes, which is by the way a normal practice. My office has been moved: computer's unplugged and there's no power line nearby.

I guess if things are perfect and totally organized, I would have the urge to aim for perfection and assume control of things enough to drive myself crazy. The mess has now strangely put me at ease. Yes, it has. I ask myself - why do I stress myself out about getting things in perfect order and under control? Seeing that things are NOT in order and NOT under my control loosen me up ... well ... today.

Having a Starbucks on campus just made me smile! Ha... I could deal with the mess.

No comments: