Sunday, September 14, 2008

Draw me close

I overslept and missed the first worship service at 9 o'clock. In the past, when I missed the first worship service, I'd either go straight to Sunday school or attend the second worship service at 11 o'clock.

As I drove to church, the Christian hymns playing in the CD player just struck a chord. I just felt the hunger. Strange. I miss God.

I guess it's been 2-3 weeks that I have become very occupied with moving, packing, unpacking, getting the new home operable (or barely operable) for piano teaching, getting ready (well, not quite there yet) for the new school quarter to begin. In the midst of such busy-ness, even though I still sort of spent time reading the Bible on some mornings, my heart and my focus weren't there. Sometimes my devotion time was interrupted by phone calls that took advantage of the loop hole of the time gap between my establishing a new phone line and the time my registering that number with the "do not call" list takes effect. Sometimes my devotion got trumped by repairmen who came to fix this and that. Even when I did have a chance to sit down and read the other day, my mind was preoccupied with my responsibility of leading a Bible study session next Friday.

As I continued to drive to church, I knew that I wanted to go to the second worship service. I went with the anticipation to meet God and be satisfied. I prayed that whatever that need is, God will meet it. He did. During the songs, the prayers, the preaching ... i.e. the entire worship service, I was blessed. I was blessed even from the promo of church expansion: for the first time I knew how to pray for a part in the church expansion. When the buildings are multiplied, when the church ministries are expanded, how are we--as individuals, as fellow Christians--to play a corresponding role of expansion? How do we let God expand our lives in the midst of our busyness? I don't know. But He should.

What a treat it is to be reminded to set my perspective straight, to have His Kingdom in mind, to hear Him well. It's like having a spiritual shield set up right before the craziness of the new quarter sets in.

1 comment:

big_head said...

> When the buildings are multiplied, when the church ministries are expanded, how are we--as individuals, as fellow Christians--to play a corresponding role of expansion? How do we let God expand our lives in the midst of our busyness?

One really should be careful of what one prays for. More kingdom work at hand. Need strength from above.