Thursday, August 28, 2008

Prayer and resistance

I was recently asked to stop teaching piano in my apartment, after having taught piano there for almost 3 years. Shortly after I received the notification, I set my mind to finding a new home.

One friend didn't like my passive response, and questioned my compliance without putting up a fight. It's true. I don't put up a lot of resistance. I heard, though, that there are tenants who fight, don't pay their rents, while the landlord can do very little about them legally.

The different types of tenant response has got me thinking: it's like praying. Sometimes a prayer is quickly answered, like facing an easy tenant, and sometimes it's not, like fighting a nasty tenant.

I used to attribute the outcome of my prayers solely to God's timing or His will. With that framework, I didn't understand the concept of "prayer and fasting" and I found v.21 in Matthew 17:14-21 (about the healing of a boy with a demon) difficult to understand.

I now see that the outcome of our prayers depends also on the difficulty/resistance of the prayed matter/person and how much we fight with prayer. No doubt about the omnipotence of God and that He can do all things. But He's teaching us, in the process, to be vigilant watchmen, to understand the difficulty of the matter, and to exercise properly our given power of prayer.

4 comments:

ablogaday said...

Nice 1st-hand reflection.

big_head said...

Do you agree?

ablogaday said...

Read this.

However, our "intercession ministry" has changed me considerably. It helped me to experience the importance of praising and thanksgivings, and how they contribute to empowering me to persist (if not repeat) even in days of no feedback from our Lord.

big_head said...

Read it in the past. Still good to read again.

> 上帝是無限的,不同的信徒對祂有不同的理解...顯出祂真像一個懂得因才施教的父親。

We study the Book of Jonah in our fellowship lately. I do see how God "因才施教 from how He dealg with Jonah.