Friday, December 07, 2007

Grace recipricating

The Master student I worked with is graduating. Her thesis got approved by the thesis filing consultant, which is one of the last processes. All she needs now is to print the whole thing on the good, cotton paper; and then get my signature. She came to my undergraduate class to tell me the good news. I congratulated her to help her absorb the fact that she's done. She broke into tears.

I recall my own hectic experience of having the written work read by my dissertation advisor then the entire committee, of defending the work and getting all the signatures, of getting the "look" of the whole thing approved by a thesis librarian/ filing personnel, of printing it on the cotton paper, etc. My moment of realizing that I was done happened when I was at my advisor's home to get her signature.

As my student thanked me profusely for my help, I thought of my dissertation advisor Susan McClary, who gave me tremendous assistance during my ordeal. Now that I'm the advisor, I simply recipricate or rechannel what I received in the past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done!

Not just for your master student, but also for you.

Good job indeed!