Thursday, December 20, 2007

溫柔

2007年12月 《華 人 基 督 教 真 理 報》的一 篇 文 章--「不 會 撒 嬌 的 女 人 最 吃 虧」,作 者 在 最 後 一 段 用 到 聖 經 中 溫 柔 的 經 文 去 支 持 文 章 論 點, 嚇 我 一 跳。 我 不 同 意 作 者 把「撒 嬌」與 聖 經 的「溫 柔」相 提 並 論﹐ 當 下 就 google search 溫 柔 的 解 釋,讀 到 沈 保 羅 一 篇「溫 柔 的 力 量 更 強」, 我 覺 得 他 解 釋 得 很 清 楚:

「溫 柔」一 詞,原 文 是 praotes,意 思 是 安 撫 的 良 藥,能 減 輕 病 情,使 人 安 眠;又 有 溫 和 微 風,使 人 舒 暢 的 意 思;亦 指 一 匹 經 過 訓 練 的 馬 十 分 馴 良 的 意 思。由 此 可 知,聖 經 上 所 稱 的 溫 柔 不 但 有 使 人 溫 和 舒 暢 的 含 義,又 有 強 而 不 暴、不 以 力 爭 的 意 思。一 個 人 遇 事 不 爭 辯、不 發 怒,寧 可 控 制 自 己,以 溫 和 待 人,這 就 是 溫 柔。一 個 在 情 緒 上 不 能 控 制 自 己 的 人 決 不 能 做 別 人 的 領 袖。強 既 是 力 量,柔 也 是 力 量,並 且 後 者 的 力 量 遠 超 過 前 者。

摘 自 沈 保 羅 的《基 督 徒 生 命 的 特 徵》



我 想 聖 經 中 提 及 的「溫 柔 」與「撒 嬌」並 沒 有 特 定 關 係。

11 comments:

Jesus' Gal said...

I am so amazed to come across this blog as I searched for Father Smedes's book on "Love within Limits"

I am teaching 1 Corinthians about love and marriage and freedom in Sunday School for baptised Christians.

As a lot of my classmates don't read English, some of us is summerizing the key message in Chinese.

As we summerize, we digest and reflect on Dr Smedes' message more and more. We are sincerely blessed by his message about love.

I thought that he is a Catholic Father...please correct me if I am wrong.

Truly blessed by this new reflection on Agape Love, and yet so practical and near to our daily liFe!!!!!!!!!!!

We'd do the whole of the Love song by Paul!!!
Chinese summary:
Sze On Dec 07

English summary:
Loner loved by Jesus Dec 07

Of course these summaries are not perfect and reading the original book is the BEST!!!

Blessings & Merry X'mas!!!

big_head said...

Dear Koala Gal:

Thank you for leaving your comments here and on my other post "Love is a power".

Glad to meet someone who appreciates Smedes's Love Within Limits. It has indeed blessed me.

> I thought that he is a Catholic Father...

From what I know, the late Lewis Smedes was a Christian and the Professor of Theology and Philosophy of Religion at Fuller Theological Seminary.

I also like Henri Nouwen's writing, even though he was a Catholic. Whether it's Christian or non-Christian author, we just need to discern if what we read agrees with the Biblical truth.

May His Love empower you and your Sunday school classmates.

Blessings in Christ,
Grace

ablogaday said...

> google search 溫柔的解釋

Instead of googling, why not look through what Smedes had written in the chapter Love in kind:

Kindness is power.
Kindness dares to be weak.
Kindness is intelligent and tough.

Conclusion: Kindness is far from 撒嬌.

big_head said...

Thanks for the reference on Smedes's definition of kindness.

Don't you like 沈保羅's imagery of a trained, powerful horse?

ablogaday said...

Mmm... not sure if I can really grasp his meaning through this imagery, but I do like the other descriptions, 'cos I see I have many of those qualities, ha!

> 使人舒暢

我從不愛為難他人,卻樂意do something to make others feel good。

> 強而不暴、不以力爭的意思。一個人遇事不爭辯、不發怒,
> 寧可控制自己


Yes, I see I don't need to struggle too much to behave like this in confrontation. But I know sometimes I still need to control and more aware of myself not to show a mean face... But sometimes people who don't understand may take this as being a coward -- may be it takes "kindness" not to defense for oneself on this misunderstanding.

big_head said...

我想這匹馬可以在草原奔馳, 但並不野性, 願意受制於主人。

其實「溫柔」一詞確實也有令我想起你的性格 ... 不過主耶穌在聖殿發怒趕走作買賣﹐換銀錢的episode﹐ 與祂被釘十字架之前不反抗的episode對比, 更令我想起「強而不暴」、「溫柔」, 也就是Smedes的 "dares to be weak"。

我仍是一匹野馬﹐有待訓 練。 These two weeks I'm practising the chapter on "Love is not irritable."

Anonymous said...

把撒嬌比作溫柔是絕對亂解聖經,請見﹕

從女人必須撒嬌談起

http://www.chinesechristiandiscernment.net/sa_gel.htm

這樣的引用聖經可稱異端!!!

big_head said...

Thank you for your comment and clear position that "撒嬌" has nothing to do with the Biblical "溫柔." I agree and so did ablogaday who commented.

I checked the link you suggested. That essay seems to be attacking the person who held the view AS WELL AS the view itself. I feel that one can be "gentle" with Christian brothers/sisters who have erred. One can be firm AND gentle in pointing out inaccurate Biblical interpretation. Don't you agree?

Jesus' Gal said...

Hi Grace and friends!

What a surprise to have a continual discussion on kindness!

When I saw the 3 lines given by Rev Smedes in his chapter... it rang a bell in my head...so very true...

a little summary of the chapter on Love is Kind in English.
And a similar one translated into Chinese

Enjoy!!!

My sunday school on Love, 1 Corinthians, and make use of Rev Smedes' book on "Love within Limits" has just ended yesterday! It was indeed a blessing, and all our classmates agree that the reflections from Rev Smedes are very insightful and are really blessed by his reflections.

We'd send it out to our friends. Hope Paul's love letter bring faith, hope, love to Christians and non-Christians!

big_head said...

Thanks, Koala Gal.

Can I share your Chinese translation in my fellowship's CSAF blog?

Jesus' Gal said...

Hi Big Head,

Sorry I only get to see your comment now!

Of course, no problem! Just quote my site and Rev Smede's reference will do!!!

Please feel free to share other relevant material from my blog with your friends or on your fellowship blog. Just put my link there as a reference will do, if possible.

Cheers!