I think music may be considered a spiritual gift that belongs to the categories of speaking in tongues and of interpretation (cf. 1 Cor 12).If music is a language and its objective is to represent, express, and affect (which is pretty much the dominant thinking of the ancient Greek, and that of the western Europe from the Renaissance up till the present day), and if the musical composition is inspired by the Above, then composing/performing a work would be equivalent to speaking in tongues. Those who play/perform another person's original composition, which involves understanding, would be like rendering an interpretation of the said work to others who're not familiar or fluent with the language.
4 comments:
If music is classified as a spiritual gift, I would add that it needs to build up the congregation (Ephesians 4:16). Prophecies need to go with someone who can differentiate the source of these prophecies, tongues need to go with someone who can translate these tongues (I Corinthians 12:10), or else it's self-indulgence rather than a service or ministry (I Corinthians 13:1).
So if I'm going to represent, express, or to affect through music, I make sure I build up as well.
Yes, I agree. Thanks for pointing out the important aspect of edification in the context of spiritual gift.
Isn't it wonderful that in the following chapter1 Cor 13, it's explained that LOVE should be the motivation in all these gifts . We come a full circle to reiterate the point that nothing--not even using our spiritual gifts--should be done for self-ish reasons, be it for self-gain, self-indulgence, Yes.
and btw, you sounded like St. Augustine! :)
Yes, it is wonderful. I especially like what Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 12:31, where he asked we believers to "eagerly desire the greater gifts," and then pointed us to "the most excellent way" (NIV, Chinese Union Version is even better), which is LOVE.
> you sounded like St. Augustine!
Actually I know too little about him, so I have no idea of what you're talking about.
"So I waver between the danger that lies in gratifying the senses and the benefits which, as I know from experience, can accrue from singing. Without committing myself to an irrevocalbe opinion, I am inclined to approve of the custom of singing in church, in order that by indulging the ears weaker spirits may be inspired with feelings of devotion. Yet when I find the singing itself more moving than the truth which it conveys, I confess that this is a grievous sin, and at those times I would prefer not to hear the singer."
St. Augustine, Confessions, trans. R.S. Pine-Coffin (Harmondsworth: Penguin Classics, 1961), 238-39.
Post a Comment