Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Praying for an end to the Calif. wildfires

"It will not end ... until it reaches the ocean or the winds turn around."

~San Diego Fire battalion chief Bruce Cartelli



The wildfires haven't affected the LA area. Unlike 3 years ago, I don't even smell the smoke and see the color of the sky change. Yet, from the news report, the wildfires in California this time are much more massive. Almost all the TV news channels are covering the story all the time.

From the CNN report:

- About 271,080 acres (about 424 square miles) burned
- More than 300,000 residents have left their homes
- 696 homes, 102 commercial buildings, 80 outbuildings destroyed
- One civilian killed, 21 civilians and 13 firefighters injured

The firefighters are fighting against nature, I feel. The weather is dry; the wind is strong. How should one pray? Praying for God's hand to end the wildfires? May His work be so obvious and un-deniable even to the non-believers.

* Picture downloaded from Foxnews.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We learned this news from the mass media in HK too. It's severe. Are you okay?

Let's pray!

big_head said...

I and most of the people that I know are not affected by the wildfires directly. But like all Southern Californian, we're feeling and breathing the hot and dry, dusty air.

Now I know not to take clean air for granted.