mom: The manager said she's going to raise my rent. (Mom's staying in a government subsidized building for seniors.)
me: That's not true. I spoke to the manager, and she has no plan to raise your rent. In fact, your rent has been reduced recently.
mom: No, she didn't tell you, but I know she's thinking about it. How am I going to pay the rent? I'll need to move. I'll throw this and that away and keep several bags.
me: No, mom. There's no rent increase. The rent here is very, very inexpensive, and we (me and my sister) will take care of it for you. You don't have to worry.
mom: Really, thanks so much. Then I stay here and won't move. I was so worried that I couldn't sleep at night. Now that I know you're taking care of things I don't worry anymore. I may finally sleep at night. Thank God.
We (mom & me, mom & sis) have repeated this same dialogue many times in the past week. Mom imagined and worried about her rent being increased, which isn't really happening. She's also forgetful so our explanation/assurance would serve her well only for as long as she can remember. When her memory falters, she'll worry about rent all over again; and thus we repeat the dialgoue.
This reminds me of ... myself. I too have serious memory problem before God. I would get anxious about things that aren't really happening. Even though the Bible tells me time and time again that the Lord will provide, the assurance would serve me well only for as long as I believe and can remember His Word.
7 comments:
Big head, thanks for your sharing as well as a teaching with good example.
Me too, always forget God's promises and words. Have to look upon Him.
yes, foon. working w/ kids & dealing w/ mom often grant me different perspective at seeing things.
i am beginning to understand how the late Henri Nouwen was inspired and taught by those he served. (Nouwen, a Dutch Roman Catholic priest, left a highly acclaimed academic career to work with people w/ mental disabilities as pastor of the l'Arche Daybreak Community in Toronto, Canada.)
Nouwen, I know you love his works. That I should spend time to read his books as well as to learn from him, from you, from those people around me and from God.
May God bless!
The worest is that sometimes we just don't believe in HIS WORD though we remember IT.
Wai
ps: nice to see that you are recovered
Wai
If I can say, I will say: recovering, not yet recovered.
Thanks, Wai and Foon, for your concern. I'm OK.
Post a Comment