Monday, July 30, 2007

Ensor's Doing Things Right in Matters of the Heart

It's about time to jot down my thought after reading this book.

As I shared in my small group last Friday, we all assume different roles as we relate to different people, and it's so important to know and act one's role. For example, in my small group, I'm a group member, and part of the role as a group member would be to support the decision of our group leader (and I mean when it's not too outrageous.) It would be chaotic if I assume the role of a leader when I'm not one! In my fellowship, I'm the "Service" officer. Although not many people outside my fellowship realize what the job responsibility entail, suffice to say if I assume the role of the President or of other posts while being "Service," I'll risk stepping on other people's toes. Of course, these are the general principle and there should be room for exceptional circumstances.

John Ensor states (in my opinion) his Christian, yet somewhat conservative, view of the roles of manhood and womanhood, something that I didn't pay too much attention in the past but find interesting now.

The chapter titles describe his view:

6. He Initiates ... She Responds
7. He Leads ... She Guides
8. He Works ... She Waits
9. He Protects ... She Welcomes Protection
10. He Abstains to Protect ... She, to Test
12. He Displays Integrity ... She, Inner Beauty
13. He Loves by Sacrificing ... She, by Submitting
14. He Seeks His Happiness in Hers ... She Seeks Hers in His
15. He is the Primary Provider for the Family ... She, the Primary Nurturer.

Whether I agree with Ensor's definition of biblical masculinity and femninity, the book makes me realize that the Creator makes distinction between the roles of man & of woman.

Something obvious to you? It takes me a book to get that!

No comments: