Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Adversity - a fact of life

At my low

Yesterday was one of my not-so-okay days. Nothing changed externally--dad's still in a coma (it took me 2 weeks to be ok to use this word)--but I happened to hit the trough of another cycle.

You won't see me like that too often, because I won't show my face.

It's good that I still have a Christian friend who doesn't sleep when everyone's sleeping so that I could have someone talk some sense into my head. God's good.

Not so low

As Joshua said, my situation of sick parents is not unique. When I don't feel so low, I can say it's true.

JoAn, my teaching mentor, has a sick mom in the convalescent home. She said it's a mental challenge to keep doing the stuff we're supposed to and carry on with life even when we're bombarded with emergencies. James, the Jazz teacher, told me he was in the same situation when his mom was diagnosed with cancer one and a half years ago. Similarly, Connie and Turia, the two nice ladies at the music office, are also facing family hardships. Turia took some days off last week because of her mom's health problem. An hour ago, I got an email that Connie's dad had just passed away. Oh... Connie, I was in a rush when you're asking after me today. I wish I had stopped and talked with you.

When I'm really level-headed

My dad's a servant of God. He's in good hands. Joshua (aka Minister Siu) said, "神o既僕人,神會睇住." I hold that to my heart dearly and I repeated that to mom, who (I have no doubt) has experienced plenty of adversity and God's grace.

Foon told me that Rev. Leung Sau Wah (梁壽華牧師), whom I respect and who's extremely down-to-earth, led the congregation of Yan Chiu Church to pray for my dad and my family last Sunday. Though decades apart, Rev. Leung and my dad both served as pastor at Yan Chiu Church, in which I was raised.

It gives me a special & sacred feeling to hear ministers or pastors praying for/with my dad. I can't name them all -- some are old friends of my dad, some are new acquaintance of young pastors from the Monday U2 lunch group, and some are from my present church and have only met my dad once or twice. What I witness is a strong sense of comradeship from this group, whom has been called to be the ministers of God. It's difficult to express this utterly holy aura that I felt from their togetherness under one Head.

How wonderful and good it is when His Kingdom comes in full strength.


p.s. As much as I appreciate prayers for my dad/me and am convinced that they have sustained my family, I feel it's more important to pray for your family members who're not yet Christians.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the beginning of your sharing, I wanted to say: Sorry for not praying too much for you...

In the middle: I was reminded to care those who seemed to be so close to us, but we might lose suddenly. And May God comfort Connie as well as her family!

At the end, I was further reminded... Thanks for sharing!

And May God lift you up and up!

big_head said...

Foon, I have yet to learn to express my need to others. Don't be sorry.

>It gives me a specially sacred feeling to hear ministers or pastors praying for/with my dad.

I didn't think "pastors" are special people, and I would be the last person to think they are anything close to perfect (Read the story of the kings and judges in 1, 2 Kings; 1, 2 Samuel). Having lived in the same family with one strips any aura of holiness or mystery from them. And the idea of "priesthood for all" ushered in the Reformation caused me to further undermine them. (well, not the fault of Martin Luther, but mine.)

But lately I've this new-found realization that they deserve respect not because there's necessarily anything good within themselves, but because God imparts a special role for them to witness for Him. They are special because they are chosen by God for His ministry. By caring and praying for God's ministers, we're honoring and serving God.

ablogaday said...

Very often it is not one or two "incidents" which could take us to our low, but the persistence of the problems which will drain and exhaust our energy, confidence and faith -- pray for you...

big_head said...

... and friends like you and Foon make God's presence and love more tangible.

Amy said...

It happened that I was there in Yan Chiu Church that Sunday when Rev. Leung Sau Wah prayed for your dad. I was quite moved, seeing Rev. Leung, physically not so fit himself, praying for another faithful servant of God, both served in Yan Chiu Church. When he mentioned your name and led the congregation to pray for you, I was especially touched. This is what being in the body of Christ is about. Though many might not know you, have not met you, might not even heard of your name, but we prayed for you in unity.
God indeed is good.

Anonymous said...

Same as what Amy said and felt - I was touched as well. And God is good!