This caught my eye:
In the past decade, we have been transitioning from a “feminist” to a “post-feminist” era. What’s the difference between the two? In the feminist era, feminist ideas were being developed—now they are fully formed. In the feminist era they were touted by philosophers and academics—now they are spouted by everyone. In the feminist era, the ideas were radical—now they are commonplace. In the feminist era, feminist ideas were pushed to be accepted—now they have been integrated. In the feminist era, feminist ideas were identifiable—now they are indistinguishable from mainstream thought.~http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2011/01/24/mary-kassian-on-the-church-in-a-post-feminist-world/
I got from the comment section of the above blog entry an audio link, Carolyn McCulley's "Radical Womanhood" workshop message during the NEXT 2009 conference. I listened to it. It's about an hour long, tracing the history of the three waves of feminism and where the ideologies deviates from the Biblical perspective. "The power of woman when she strives not to compete with a man..." What McCulley said in the last several minutes of the clip struck a chord in me.
I still remembered a lady giving her testimony at a local church in San Diego. (I was studying and living in San Diego, which would mean 20+years ago.) She mentioned "wanting to compete" being a bad thing, or a sin, and she quoted a Bible verse. I didn't understand it. Yet, I clearly remember this novel point that "competing with one another" is not a good thing. I still don't fully understand it.
Not that studying these other stuffs should replace studying the Bible, but then the former shouldn't be treated as a distraction from doing the more important Bible Study. It's time to resume some heavy-duty reading of these other stuffs.
2 comments:
Reminds me of a little piece written back in early 2002:
What is Culture?
Culture is an integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief and behaviour. Its formation is based on the community's capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations, and results in a set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices within that community.
I am part of Culture. Culture is part of me. Culture is moulding me. I am moulding Culture. At the very beginning, there was no Culture. Man gave birth to Culture. People came together. People communicated with one another. People compromised and established something common among them. Culture was born. In return, Culture brings people together. Culture defines the way people communicate. Culture defines what is common among people. More people are born under the Culture. Culture is much more powerful than we think. Culture brings people together, but also separates people altogether. Are we in control, or is Culture in control?
Cultural studies is fascinating, and so are feminism and gender studies. Cultural studies helped me to understand more about my faith and myself, and in return, new understandings in that perspective helped me to understand the culture around me too.
I didn't know I am a feminist!
Post a Comment