In many ways I am not embarrassed to act like a tourist: taking pictures everywhere, staring at and studying the MTR route map, visiting wet markets, vendors' streets. Hong Kong is a unique place very different from LA.
But I also quickly immersed myself in the life-style of a local, not at all in a hurry to cover all the points of interest but rather to treat this tour as a retreat away from LA, away from piano teaching, and taking time to rest, cook, read, and email whenever there's internet access. I even stayed home and made soup the day after the 2-day Macau trip to recuperate.
View from a bus on a rainy Sunday.
Tai Wai MTR Station Hall.
Dim-sum restaurant in the basement of a shopping mall.
Parklane on Nathan Road in TST.
* * *
Oh... Macau. What an interesting and cultural place, despite all the casinos! I was probably in elementary school the last time I paid a visit.


In terms of catching up with old friends, half the people I met up with go back to more than 10 years of no contact: friends from San Diego, from HK Baptist U, relatives, high school friends, church friends. These people make my trip special and worthwhile.







(from Wikipedia)
* * *
My "extended" family in Hong Kong: oh... we go way back
Helen, Amy, and Foon.
Amy and me.

My San Diego connections: Rick, Andy, Frances and her hubby, and me.
My high school buddy, Claudia.
Cousins Kitty and Gary, and me.
No comments:
Post a Comment