I couldn't pinpoint what it was, the eye contact with a warm smile, or taking the initiative to ask if I wanted tomato ketchup on the side, and watched my response until he saw me nod. It was an unexpectedly pleasant experience. Unexpected because it came from a stranger!
The drive-through encounter generated some thought ripples within me - what a joy it is to be acted upon kindly! I want to do the same to those who I come into contact. Strangers or no strangers.
The last chapter on Smedes' Love Within Limits, which I'm finishing this week, echoes my experience. Here's a simple definition of the agapic love:
"The power that moves us to respond to a neighbor's needs with no expectation of reward. Giving of itself, it asks no return on its investment. It ignores the subtle calculations of human love; it is not interested in the odds of getting some self-satisfaction in return for its efforts. It gives, not in the hope of inspiring the loved one to give in turn, but simply because the other is there and in need."
I drove away from In-N-Out surmising that the cashier might be a Christian, as there was kindness and warmth emitted. What, other than the power of agapic love, would prompt one to extend kindness for no reason?
In the past, my motivation to act kindly was to look good, to be treated kindly in return, and to be morally correct. In other words, I often wanted something back. I feel that I'm less bound by these selfish thoughts and am able to give just for the sake of giving this year.
My 2008 year resolution, therefore, continues to be about love, or, more precisely, kindness. Afterall, love is a topic too large to learn in a year (2007).
As I carried the burger and fries home in a bag, I thanked God for the cashier. I haven't found out if he's a Christian. I only learned from the receipt that his name is Israel.
1 comment:
Welcome back, refreshed with experience of love.
> love is a topic too large to learn in a year.
It's a topic to be learned in a lifetime.
Post a Comment