Thursday, May 03, 2007

An inner dialogue - faith revisited

When facing life and death, one's faith is suddenly put at stake. Hence I go back to the basic.

If it's not, "believing" doesn't make it more true. If it is, "not believing" doesn't make it less true. In other words, my believing, not believing, or the strength of my belief doesn't augment or diminish the Truth.

Can I doubt? Whether I can or can't, I do. As the Truth is uneffected by external factor like what I think, here I proceed.

It is highly presumptuous to think that I am capable of identifing the Truth on my own and decide one day to establish a connection to the Absolute by means of faith.

What then is my faith based on and what's its essence? I BELIEVE it's a response to the Call from the Absolute. (Can everything be just make-believe? Yes, it can, but not likely. Although my imagination is really top-notch, I wouldn't be able to fool myself for so many years. In the past 14 weeks, most of my imagined scenerio/ reasoning didn't hold.)

I can't be 100% sure of everything that I believe. Faith involves taking risk. However, I am putting my faith on the Bible as the Word of God. I BELIEVE because of the cloud of witnesses in the Bible and the contemporary cloud of witnesses around me, who chose or have chosen to live their lives faithfully. I BELIEVE because of my subjective experience of walking with God in the past many years. I still BELIEVE.

No comments: