Tuesday, March 19, 2013

STM

After 3 short-term mission trips and six years, I thought I've gotten too old to work with the high-school kids, and I thought I don't have the burden anymore.  It's true that those trips gave me lots of joy and sweet memories.  But then, the heat, the packed work schedules, the discomforting, diplomatic meals with the officials, it's hard work.  When I chatted with an old teammate last week, she said we sometimes get lazy and want to stay comfortable.  She continued to say that it's really a blessing to be called to do such work.

Getting lazy -- am I?  The blessing of being sent to do the work for God -- do I still want it?

* * *

I was a little early to play for the mandarin worship service at SGV church.  Auntie May was sitting there and shared with me,

  "I didn't like to share the Gospel with others.  Even though I knew that Jesus wouldn't return unless the Gospel is spread throughout the world, I thought it was okay for Jesus not to return, since I quite like this world.  But God said to me, 'May, the world is not going to stay the same.  It will turn into something that you will dislike.'"

 Auntie May continued to share with me,

"You know, it's true.  I never imagined that a son would murder and dismember his parent.  Yet it's happening."

I kept listening her talk, as I recalled reading that piece of horrendous news a few days ago.  I also didn't like reading about Manila's trying to develop herself as another Las Vegas, and I thought I'd read too many news of gruesome rapes in the past month.  I don't like how this world is turning into.  Pretty soon, there's no place for Christians like me to hide and live.  There's evil everywhere.

Jesus needs to return to make things right.

***

I came across a sermon by Dr. Philemon Choi on YouTube.  Some 30 years ago, he was called by God to quit the job of being a medical doctor to work with teenagers.  Now he's already a grandpa, yet his passion has not diminished and he's still active with the mission he was called to do.

Am I calling it quit only after 6 years?  Is there a calling for me?




No comments: