In the past, I have been a victim and an offender in the act of plagiarism.
The first ever of my experience happened when I was in high school, before even knowing the term or the concept of "plagiarism." Someone I knew said my work (i.e. some guitar chords for a song introduction) was not so good but then ended up using it right in front of my face. Afterwards she was complimented, and she didn't acknowledge the fact that it's not her work. That hurt. It was not about not getting the credit; I felt betrayed.
Now that decades have passed. I am able to look at the incident and to imagine perhaps that person didn't get a lot of praise while growing up, and desperately needed that compliment, like a hungry child stealing food out of desperation.
As I reflected upon my plagiarism that was knowingly or unknowingly committed. One time it was out of desperation. It also brings to mind the numerous time that I have taken the credit that should be due to God. That's plagiarism.
No comments:
Post a Comment