Tuesday, February 09, 2010

decision delayed

"The Philistines came up in great numbers, but, by the help of God, David had easily put them to flight. Note, however, that when they came a second time, David did not go up to fight them without inquiring of the Lord. Once he had been victorious, and he might have said, as many have in other cases, 'I shall be victorious again. I may rest quite sure that if I have conquered once I shall triumph yet again. Why should I delay by seeking God?' Not so David. He had gained one battle by the strength of the Lord; he would not venture upon another until he had ensured the same. He inquired, 'Shall I go up against them?' He waited until God's sign was given. Learn from David to take no step without God."
After praying--and asking a few friends to pray for me--on and off since last November about whether I'll join a short-term mission trip this summer, I made up my mind in January to join again the Anhui team again. Well, my mind is made up on one condition: there's no red light from God. Somehow it occurred to me the red light could result from not having enough workers to form a team.

Initially, I expected to confirm if there's a team last Sunday. However, there's a delay of that confirmation, and I haven't heard a sure "yes" or "no" from the team leader. As I wait, I'm learning to keep an open-mind and continue to pray for God's guidance, regardless of my decision. The devotion passage by Charles H. Spurgeon today, which revolves the story of David inquiring of the Lord if he should fight the Philistine a second time after having fought the Philistines and gained a victory (2 Samuel 5:23), reminds me not to assume. Yes, Lord, let me not assume. I continue to seek your guidance.

6 comments:

ablogaday said...

For years I've been practising moving ahead to where I see as right as long as "there's no red light from God", but to such an extent that I almost took it for granted in every scenario.

One of the annual themes YCC put forward this year is related to prayer, and I began to re-evaluate this habit of mine. Now I find I need to stop absolutizing that old habit but reconsider my action, and now I try to be more aware of praying for direction and guidance, and yes, learn to "take no step without God" (kind of not used to it for me).

Thanks for verifying my thoughts.

big_head said...

I like how you put it, not to "absolutizing" an experience. Our situations don't stay the same, things that God wants to teach us may not be the same.

Thank you for sharing, ablogaday.

ablogaday said...

This is what I read during devotion this morning:

"Waiting is much more difficult than walking. Waiting requires patience, and patience is a rare virtue... It requires a grander heroism to stand and wait and not lose heart and not lose hope, to submit to the will of God... to be quiet, confidence and rejoicing, while the happy, busy multitude go on and away."

I always thought patience is one of my strength, and this morning this reading nailed me down.

So I dedicate this piece, hoping that you will not lose hope on God's guidance to your upcoming trip.

It reminded me of our dear sister too...

big_head said...

What an encouragement!

While still praying to see if God'll open door for the trip, I have indeed lost some of the initial enthusiasm. Well, if it's from the flesh, it's good to lose it.

A couple other major things in life seem to be pending as well ...

Be patient .... yet not to get lazy.

Remembering our sister too ... there's a weight in my heart.

Amy said...

I have always taught my little one there are three answers from God, "Yes," "No" and "Wait." She asked me one time, "Why are there so many "waits" answers?"

While I don't have an answer, or don't want to make up an answer for her, I ask myself the same question.

Life is not about "getting" things, it is about seeing God, glorifying Him as He wills us. With our failures, sometimes it is hard to go ahead, but have to stare at the yellow light for a long time, wait and see if it is turning red or green.

ablogaday said...

Like! 讀過神學係唔同D!