Wednesday, September 23, 2009

all my heart and all my soul

"I will rejoice in doing them good. And I will plant them in this land in faithfulness, with all my heart and all my soul." Jeremiah 31:41 (ESV).

Usually, the phrase "with all my heart and all my soul" draws to mind the greatest commandment that God wants us to love him with all our hearts and minds and souls. Seldom would I imagine God himself doing something "with all his heart and all his soul." But that's what this verse in Jeremiah says: God's planting his people in the land with all his heart and all his soul. God's doing something for his people, God wants to bless his people with all his heart and all his soul.

You can't get a better deal than this.

I recently had lunch with a New York friend returning to LA briefly. It's so encouraging to hear how God has guided him from the field of physics to that of finance, from being a phd in academia to working as a financial analyst, from working towards professorship, to being unemployed in LA, to a high-pay job in Wall Street right before the melt-down, from praying for his parents' salvation, to thanking God for their spiritual progress. It's not a story of success but a story of God's grace and providence.

No comments: