Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Luke's narrative: Jesus' teaching on prayer

I read Luke 11:1-13 today. Here're what I observe:

  1. His account of Jesus' teaching on prayer is much concise and compact (cf. the longer passage in Matthew 6-7)
  2. In this version of the Lord's Prayer

    • God’s Name (his Honor, Kingdom, & Will) comes first (v.2)
    • It's not only OK but important to ask for our daily needs (v.3) -- important enough to warrant being mentioned.
    • The correlation of forgiveness--between God and me, & between me and others--is noted (v.4)

      • God's forgiveness of our sins is contingent
        upon ( too strong a word?) our forgiveness of others who wrong us


    • God gives us the Holy Spirit when we ask (v.13)

      • v.13 should be understood in the context of Luke 11:1-13, as the NIV editors suggest. The sudden mentioning of the "Holy Spirit" would otherwise be difficult to comprehend.
      • Comparing this passage with the more spreadout fragments in Mt 6:5-18, 25-34 and 7:7-11 helps us appreciate the correlation of v.1 and v.13 in Luke's narrative.
      • "Boldness" or "persistence" (v.8), the assurance of "ask and it will be given to you...," and giving "the Holy Spirit to those who ask him" are all parts of Jesus' answer to the disciple's request in v.1. (Chris Tomokiyo pointed out that here the quesiton is to "teach us to pray," not "teach us how to pray."

My prayer today is, first thing first:

1. In light of some brothers/sisters who're facing health crises, I pray that God’s Name be glorified and He gives them strength to triumph over.
2. Re: CSAF election in August, God’s Name be glorified as brothers and sisters show obedience and openness to His lead, not insisting of pleasing oneself.
3. God’s Name be glorified through me and our teams during our Anhui trip.

(I'm not a Bible scholar nor have I studied any Bible commentary. I just read the Scripture everyday and would like to share my thoughts.)

1 comment:

big_head said...

Good attempt. We can discuss any question you have, if you like. Let me know how I can help.

Do you know about 良友電台?